After a year of continuous change, companies have tried to pivot and adapt, and they have discovered the fragility that comes with their business. Today we have the opportunity to change this situation through good management practices accompanied by the right technologies. In 2021, some resolutions and questions can help us to start thinking about it.
Montreal- Barcelona – January 2021
The unprecedent changes in the organizational, social, and economic landscapes have created unexpected stressors and operational bottlenecks in the value chains of our organizations. The vulnerabilities of many companies have emerged to create different challenges for their managers. Demand has fluctuated drastically in some sectors, just as supply chains have been disrupted. The year behind us has brought to the table new learnings, unexpected accelerations but also new knowledge about the importance of some risk and resilience management practices to deal with operational fragility.
Hopefully, today it is possible for companies to assess their fragility and begin to work towards resilience thanks to different methods and standards (ISO 22301, ISO 31000, Business Continuity Plans, …). In this process the adoption of digital tools is often used by the experts in risk and resilience management and business continuity.
To facilitate this strategic, tactical, operational, and technological journey, it may be useful to ask ourselves different types of questions about the resilience of our business or organization.
We will find some of the strategic questions to be asked in a classic of the resilient enterprise (Sheffi 2007[i] ) which suggested that we should ask ourselves:
- How did my company define and prioritize its threats?
- Is my business ready despite not knowing the type of disruptions it will face?
- How has my company built its flexibility to become resilient?
- Are international disruptions very different from accidents or “random” phenomena for my company?
- What is the role of my organization’s corporate culture in resilience?
2021 should be the year of the evolution towards the desired resilient enterprise thanks to digital platforms such as REZILIO which, like an ERP for resilience, will allow you to have a global vision of your crises
When answering these questions, we might then be tempted to move forward and get to know more about the importance of having a [ii]Business Continuity Plan. Then other doubts might come to our minds:
- What would be the “perfect storm” for my company?
- What level of severity should I keep in mind when building a Business Continuity Plan?
- Should we deliberately put ourselves in the most critical operational situation or we should choose a business-as-usual period, because it is more frequent throughout the year?
Finally, questions about which technology is available to build a resilient company will arise:
- Am I able to manage a crisis remotely with my current digital tools?
- Do I have access to a digital tool covering the entire spectrum and life cycle of risk management and resilience processes?
- Do I have the ability to predict the future state of my critical workflows and services?
The answers to some of these issues will show us the importance of strategic thinking, preparation, planning, but also the relevance of digitization to strengthen operational resilience.
2021 should be the year of the evolution towards the desired resilient enterprise thanks to digital platforms such as REZILIO which, like an ERP for resilience, will allow you to have a global vision of your crises, as well as maintain control of your operations to resolve incidents, bounce back more quickly and make your organization more resilient to future crises.
To support you in this process, Rezilio and its network of global partners will be there, always ready to become the architects of a resilient world.
Daniel Dancause , CEO at Rezilio
Gontran Paillez , Communication Manager at Rezilio
Ignasi Fontanals, Director Europe at Rezilio
👉 Book a private tour of Rezilio with one of our experts by clicking here !
[i] The Resilient Entreprise. Overcoming vulnerability for competitive advantage. Yossi Sheffi 2007
[ii] Business Continuity Planning and Crisis Management – Resilience, the challenge of new threats. Cécile Weber 2020
1 The Resilient Entreprise. Overcoming vulnerability for competitive advantage. Yossi Sheffi 2007
2 Business Continuity Planning and Crisis Management – Resilience, the challenge of new threats. Cécile Weber 2020